[CAUT] back duplex

llafargue llafargue@charter.net
Thu, 18 Nov 2004 15:53:34 -0600

Thanks Ron,
Isn't the plate just too low or aliquot too low?  There was crown and
bearing, just not enough on the aliquot.  I imagine that shimming the
aliquot and controlling humidity would have been the easiest fix.  My
concern in trying to address it myself on a new piano that probably
still had RH instability was going too far and the string then climbing
up on the bridge cap/pins, making me then responsible for a new problem.

If anyone sees 7 footers out there with this, just remember this post,
because the tech with more experience with this brand than I, knew right
off where to look.

Lance Lafargue, RPT
LAFARGUE PIANOS
New Orleans Chapter, PTG
985.72P.IANO
llafargue@charter.net
www.lafarguepianos.com

-----Original Message-----
From: caut-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf Of
Ron Nossaman
Sent: Thursday, November 18, 2004 8:35 AM
To: College and University Technicians
Subject: RE: [CAUT] back duplex

>I have not been back, I'm a problem, so don't know the bearing, crown,
>sound, etc.  Just wanted to know what others thought of the
>solution.  Like, if your BMW's headlights flicker, just unplug
>them.  Mary, I thought of your solution, but I go back to.. After
$28,000,
>should the customer be expected to accept this and what will the piano
>"do" later? Also, the maker says it ain't right, the dealer just
doesn't
>want to pay moving expenses, etc.  The dealer is several hours away,
out
>of state.  Thanks to all.
>
>Lance Lafargue, RPT

Buzzing on the aliquot is the symptom, and it seems to me that someone
ought to be trying to discover the cause instead of just - unplugging
the
lights. I agree that braiding off the back scale isn't much of a fix for

even a $3,999.95 flowerpot stand that shouldn't have gotten out of the
factory in that condition in the first place, and the customer shouldn't

put up with it. That's why I asked about the bearing and crown. I'm
interested in knowing how the piano was set up to do this, because
something is VERY wrong, and having details is good ammunition when
you're
talking to manufacturers and dealers.

Ron N