[CAUT] Rhodes

Horace Greeley hgreeley@stanford.edu
Tue, 28 Sep 2004 13:58:06 -0700

At 01:39 PM 9/28/2004, you wrote:
>In a message dated 9/28/04 3:23:11 PM Central Daylight Time,
>amccoy@mail.ewu.edu writes:
>Also the beast is missing all four legs. Anyone out there have a set of four
>legs that need to be reunited with our friendly Rhodes beast? Will pay for
>legs.
>
>Thanks.
>
>Alan "Lurkster" McCoy
>
>You're really asking for some memory flash backs, aren't you?
>
>I can't help you with the pinning, but If I recall, weren't these ordinary
>table legs that screwed into the bottom, with bolts and plates that can be
>found in most hardware stores.

Depends on the model.  Some had the screw-in type legs, others were
designed to work only with the speaker/amp box on which they sat, others
had other configurations.

The pinning thing can be a nightmare, especially if one forgets that this
is not a real piano and tries to apply real piano specs. to things.  I'd
suggest not pinning anything any tighter than necessary to keep the parts
from reasonably squarely hitting the tines...both as to front - back as
well as side-to-side.  Odd variations in this will affect the perception of
pitch from the tines.  Also, work to keep the pickup coils an even distance
from the tines.

These things were assembled with electronic-grade (not computer-grade)
copper wire and solder.  So, along with your 15 watt soldering iron, take
along some thin solder, small side cutters, and plastic electrical tape
(the brown Revere 77 stuff from 3M works well).  Also very handy, should
you need to do any real soldering, is to pick up some solder-wick - this is
a metal woven mesh sold in varying widths and lengths which wicks molten
solder away from a joint.  Take the fuses out before soldering, and you
will run less risk of blowing one.

Many times, slop in the action of these things have as much to do with
really poor key bushings as anything else....

Well...that's a place from which to start.

Best.

Horace