[CAUT] NASM Standards

Bdshull@aol.com Bdshull@aol.com
Tue, 21 Jun 2005 16:31:17 EDT

I completely agree, the more directed energy we put into this the better.
July 8....wow.  An incentive to get something done!

We should keep in mind that political realities tend to reduce our chances
for anything we do to achieve official approval by NASM.  Of all the
administrators I've talked with, they don't want another hurdle to jump through, and
prefer standards to be kept vague.

All the more reason for us to develop a well reasoned and comprehensive set
of guidelines for NASM, which shows we've taken into consideration their own
methods and philosophy for evaluation, as well as their approach to types and
sizes of schools.

I'll never forget when one School of Music director told me that I saved his
behind by having all the pianos in tune when NASM came by....the school really
looked good....I couldn't help but think how the budget was so deplorable,
and had any basic standard been used to measure the piano inventory and piano
service program, the school wouldn't have looked horrific....

There's no doubt the Guidelines should be referred to, but a summary of
standards should be simple, easy to grasp quickly, and reflect NASM's dual approach
to evaluation, which, as I understand it, recognizes the type of school or
program as the basis for evaluation, and also uses the school's self-evaluation.
  This self-evaluation is extremely important, because it is quite
subjective.  The school can find a way to make itself look quite good when we know the
piano inventory condition and the service program is sinking.

Here also is a strong justification for the development of a CAUT credential.
 If such a thing is in place, NASM could be looking to whether the school's
lead tech has, or is earning, the credential.   The committee will have to work
long and hard on this year if  we have "beta" volunteer program up and
running for this coming convention, but it would be worth it.  Fred has worked hard
on this at the convention, and I suspect he will have some things to say about
it.

Bill Shull

  In a message dated 6/21/2005 11:03:19 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
jtanner@mozart.sc.edu writes:
On Tuesday, June 21, 2005, at 01:55 PM, Wolfley, Eric (wolfleel) wrote:

> I certainly think it would behoove us to look into this.
>
> Eric Wolfley, RPT
> Supervising Piano Technician
> College-Conservatory of Music
> University of Cincinnati

The language from the handbook describing pianos as Facilities,
Equipment, and Safety is extremely vague, and leaves much to the
imagination.  Some better descriptive guidelines would seem
appropriate.  I doubt there would be a music faculty out there which
would not appreciate some help from NASM to establish better standards
in our area.

Jeff

Jeff Tanner, RPT
School Of Music