[CAUT] hearing aids

Alan Crane alan.crane@wichita.edu
Fri, 24 Jun 2005 16:15:47 -0500

At 03:10 PM 6/24/05, Leslie Bartlett wrote:
>I'm interested in learning how many tuners use hearing aids.  I just started
>such a month or two ago.   My audiologist thinks my problem goes back years,
>probably before I took my tuning test, so I've been compensating without
>them...........    But there is a "necessary and ordinary" clause if one is
>to take such things as business expenses..........  The more techs who use
>them, the more "ordinary" it becomes.

Hi Leslie,

Just my opinion but I'd say an electronic tuning aid is just that and is
probably deductible.
The main indicator would probably be whether or not you use it all the time
or just mainly in your profession.
It most likely falls under the same requirements as corrective
lenses______________ those used mainly in
conducting business are deductible; those used to lead a more normal life
are not (not business deductions anyway).
I don't use hearing aids (yet... knock on wood) and I use ear plugs as
often as possible to try and postpone what is
probably inevitable for many of us but I know the day is probably coming
when I'll have similar questions of my own.
Hang in there!

Regards,

Alan B. Crane,  RPT
School of Music