[CAUT] Piano tuners on different keys about technology

Avery Todd atodd@uh.edu
Tue, 01 Mar 2005 08:29:08 -0600

Wim,

In the few years that I've had my SAT III, I've used one of the preset
tunings only one time. And didn't like it. So when I use the machine,  I
ALWAYS use the FAC plus aural checks (usually). :-)

>One of the profs told me she thought the bass on her two B's was too low.
>(I use the preset tuning on my SATIII). Another prof played c3-f3-f4, and
>said it sounded muddy. (I had just tuned this piano three days earlier).

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think that probably had an awful lot to do
with the tuning. It was more likely the voicing and/or the basic sound of
the instrument.

>The upshot was that the next day I spent 6 hours tuning and voicing the
>two B's. Although I used the SATIII to get me in the ball park, I turned
>the machine off and went back to basics, listening carefully with my ears.
>I tuned the recital hall the next day, and used my ears. I didn't even
>turn the machine on.

Probably good practice. I need to do that every once in a while, also.

>Sometimes we need a kick in the rear to remind us that tuning is still an
>aural sport. I got lazy, and relied too much on my little box.

True.

Avery