[CAUT] :( Greetings from friendly neighborhood upstate New York Igloo

Avery Todd atodd@uh.edu
Wed, 02 Mar 2005 12:48:54 -0600

Michele,

At 09:15 AM 3/2/2005, you wrote:

>Hey people..
>
>This may start out as a vent -and I appologize for that- but in the end
>it'll turn out to be a question you brainiack/piano gods can answer.

Well, I'm hardly a brainiack/piano god, but I'll put in my two cents worth.
A few years ago, I had the same type of situation for an off-campus tuning
for a touring choral group, except in reverse. Remember, I live in Houston.
:-) My question was about air-conditioning prior to the tuning.

Depending on whether/how much you actually do care or not, I have to
disagree with you. The heat will effectively mess up your tuning. It
"might" be sort of usable, but I can just about guarantee you it won't be
good!

In my case, for some reason I don't remember right now, I had to tune on a
Tuesday for a concert on Friday and I asked if it would really make much
difference if the room were at performance temp. or not for my tuning time.
In response, here's one of the good responses I got:

It absolutely does make a difference, which can be greater or smaller
depending upon the season, but I've found that if the heat/AC makes enough
difference to change your comfort level, it will almost certainly change the
pitch of the piano more than your tolerances. For instance, you expect to
tune to a fraction of a cent, but having the HVAC come on can disrupt the
tuning by six or eight cents easily, in the middle of the piano (destroying
your lovely octaves), and within minutes. The same is true of stage lighting,
and it's true even if there is humidity-control equipment.

Although the piano starts changing instantaneously, and while it would take
days to REALLY stabilize it, it's much, much closer to stable if it sits for
even an hour at a uniform air situation. Half a day is better.

I let the client know that I sincerely want to protect their financial best
interests, and that I don't want to take their money and give unsatisfactory
results in return. I gently point out that unless the conditions are both
like the performance and relatively stable before I begin work, I can almost
guarantee that the results will be audibly unsatisfactory.

Rather than focusing on how much it costs to air condition for half a day
before I tune, I point out that although real stability of the piano would
require constant air conditioning, they can have very good (while not ideal)
results AND save a lot of money by NOT having to heat/air condition the rest
of the time - enough to do a little more frequent tuning.

Maybe the above will give you some ideas on how to approach it. Right or
wrong, I've always sort of believed that if the piano is tuned at "normal"
temp. and then the heat or air was later turned back off and on again the
next day, that there would be a much better chance of the tuning
"returning" to where you'd left it than there would be if it were done at
whatever the existing temperature was the previous day. Whew! :-) You've
also got to consider not only the change in temperature but also what that
will do to the humidity level in the room.

Well, for whatever it's worth.......... :-) Good luck.

Avery Todd
University of Houston