[CAUT] Most stable tuning sequence?

Don pianotuna@yahoo.com
Mon, 07 Mar 2005 20:15:56

Hi Ed,

I missed an opportunity to do "just that" in November of 1986. I came
across three brand new Kawai UST 6 pianos two of which were equally flat,
that had damppchasers in them and were in the same facility. I chose to
pitch correct one using Unisons as you go, and the other with tuning all
the middle strings first and then pulling in the unisons. The third piano
was more in tune than the others so I used it as a control with tuning all
middle strings first, then pulling in the unisons.

When I came back 3 months later for the next tuning the piano with the
unisons as you go was much closer to being in tune than the other two. They
had been played about the same amount. It was for me, a missed opportunity
to actually document the real difference--but it was enough to convince me
to do "unisons as you go" ever since.

At 08:29 PM 3/7/2005 -0500, you wrote:
>     Or just that "tuning unisons as you go" (presumably from an A440
>reference) is more stable than using a strip mute.   Has anyone published
>research to define exactly what is being claimeed, and support it with
>evidence?
>Ed Sutton

mailto:pianotuna@yahoo.com	http://us.geocities.com/drpt1948/

3004 Grant Rd. REGINA, SK, S4S 5G7