[CAUT] William Wolfram

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Tue, 8 Mar 2005 10:39:56 EST

In a message dated 3/7/05 7:22:42 P.M. Central Standard Time,
tcoates1@sio.midco.net writes:

If you  are unsure about direction, perhaps it is time to have an
outside  "expert"  piano technician who is non threatening to you
evaluate the  piano.  Or did you do that once?  I can't remember if it
was you  who posted about something like that before.

Tim  Coates

Unbeknown to me, last week the piano faculty got a technician from
Birmingham to work on the piano. I just so happen to walk by the concert  hall and
heard the piano being tuned. I didn't even know the guy, although I had  heard of
him. (He works for the local Kawai/Baldwin/Schimmel dealer). Anyway,  after he
got done, I played the piano, and found about a dozen notes that stuck  out,
either as too dull or too bright. When we had a meeting last week, (the  piano
faculty, the chair, and me), one of the faculty members, (who is playing a
recital in a couple of weeks), said the piano sounded so much better, but
there were still a few notes that needed tweeking. So I offered to spend some
time on the piano on Sunday, but only if he agreed to stand by my side, and tell
me which notes needed work, and stay there until I had it just the way he
wanted. About an hour before he was scheduled to show up, I tuned the  piano,
and identified the notes I though needed voicing. When he got there, I  asked
him to show me the notes he thought needed voicing. Guess what, we  only agreed
on two notes. The rest he didn't say anything about. When I  pointed them out,
he said they sounded fine to him. (He said one was just  out of tune, which
it wasn't). What frustrated me, is that he didn't  stick around. He left after
a few minutes. So I just fixed the three notes he  said needed work, and
closed up the piano. But I did send him an email  explaining my frustration,
basically stating that the problem we have  is that I hear things different than he
does, and that is why communicating  is so important. I also pointed out that
he now has to come back and play the  piano again, before his recital, and
show me if there are any more notes he  wants corrected.

Wim