[CAUT] William Wolfram

Mary Smith marysmith@mail.utexas.edu
Wed, 09 Mar 2005 09:00:12 -0600

--=====================_6760711==.REL
--=====================_6760711==.ALT
Hi Wim,

OK, I have one thing to offer you regarding "thick skin." Steve Covey's
book, "The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People" is extremely helpful. I
actually did teach a class based on this book a couple years back at a
National seminar, habits adapted for piano techs, of course. One of the
ways this book was helpful to me was that I learned to set my own internal
"barometer" in terms of my work and skill level, i.e., set my own goals,
values, and system of evaluation. Of course, we always rely on external
input (or else we get into REAL trouble!), but bear in mind that YOU
determine the course of your work. Seek to understand the other guy before
you seek to be understood Habit #5, I think), but also know yourself well
enough to remain unshaken when your work is criticized. Also, I think about
what one of my friends (a professional violinist) told me about how there
is no secret to success, but the secret to failure is trying to please
everybody (my own personal challenge!). Anyway - there's my little pep talk
for you!

Cheers,
Mary

At 10:24 AM 3/8/2005 -0500, you wrote:
>In a message dated 3/7/05 6:17:39 P.M. Central Standard Time,
>hgreeley@stanford.edu writes:
>Concert work is a crap shoot, no matter how good/bad one might
>individually be as a technician.  You/one/_anyone_ is only as good as
>your/their last tuning...period.  Further, survival is not at all
>necessarily reserved for the most fit.  There is a very simple bottom line
>which must be addressed before getting too deep into concert work (beyond
>the point of it being a relatively occasional service for the local
>MTA/whatever); and, that is, just how thick is your/anyone's skin?  Doing
>"real" concert work is brutal...not at all the way it is seemingly
>idealized by so many.  One either learns to live with the inevitable
>slings and arrows, or, wisely, one chooses to leave the field to those
>whose egos either need and/or can withstand the onslaught.
>
>Horace
>
>Thank you for your advice. This is the one area of concert work that I
>need to develop. (creating a thick skin). As far as I know,  this is not a
>class I have not seen offered at any convention. 672582.jpg
>
>Wim

An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: 672582.jpg