[CAUT] Re: Pin block strangeness

Christopher Purdy purdy@ohio.edu
Mon, 14 Mar 2005 16:59:05 -0500

A quick update is due:

I spoke to the pianist at the church today.  My tuning seems to be=20
holding fine.  I try to throw stones at the previous technician as a=20
last resort but I don't know him or how much experience he has.  I have=20=

an appointment to go back on Thursday to check on the tuning.  If all=20
is well it may be that the piano is not the problem.

To address Ed's views, I believe I said in my original post that the=20
piano "seemed" to be well built.  Tuning pin torque is very consistent,=20=

no sloppy workmanship, etc.  And after tuning the piano sounded great. =20=

I am impressed at the sound of this little dude.

I am getting a little lesson on modern block fitting techniques I=20
guess.  I have always been told that block to flange fit was crucial. =20=

I am very interested in this piano and I'm going to follow up on it for=20=

a while.  I am also going to start checking block fit  whenever I have=20=

a chance.  I would be interested in hearing from anyone that does a lot=20=

of new piano service on asian pianos.  Are they all doing this?

Chris

On Mar 14, 2005, at 2:55 PM, Ed Sutton wrote:

> I've floor tuned about 24=A0new=A0pianos this year, my first show room=20=

> experience since about 1992 or '93.
> =A0
> My impression is very positive; the quality seems much better than 12=20=

> years ago.
> =A0
> For example, current Chinese pianos are much easier to work with than,=20=

> say, a Kimball "La Petite" or
> those wretched mini-grands Baldwin was making in the early 90's.
> =A0
> And speaking of Baldwin, I can hardly believe my words.... they are=20
> much better than the 1990's production.=A0 It looks like Gibson is=20
> really trying to make a real piano company out of Baldwin.
> =A0
> Mason & Hamlin is a delight, and Petrof is very good, really getting=20=

> where they should have been.
> =A0
> I think we should try to be less curmudgeonly about new pianos!=A0 =
Even=20
> Chinese pianos.
> =A0
> Optimistically (but with flame suit nearby).
> =A0
> Ed Sutton
> =A0
> =A0