[CAUT] excessive pedaling?

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Thu, 17 Mar 2005 16:52:23 EST

In a message dated 3/17/05 1:13:04 P.M. Central Standard Time,
Cramer@BrandonU.ca writes:

In most cases, assuming good regulation,  string-leveling, tuning, etc., this
may be "all" that's required. Just be  sure to run a slow chromatic scale and
listen to every note in all three pedal  positions.

What I have done, to give myself a "guide" as to where the action is, is  put
a mark on the keyframe, and then three marks on the keybed. The first mark
for rest position, a second mark with action shifted about half way, and third
at complete shift. It gives me a reference point. I can shift exactly at half
 way, or to the left or right of the middle mark.

I also have made sure all the hammers hit the strings in the same  place, (as
per your suggestion). I learned that at Steinway last summer. What I  have to
remember is to make sure the hammers are not only in the right position,  but
that they are level, shaped, etc. Sometimes I get to looking for one
particular problem, and forget to consider the other possible reasons why  one of
notes doesn't sound right.

Thanks for the advice

Wim