[CAUT] excessive pedaling?

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Mon, 21 Mar 2005 16:57:51 -0700

On 3/19/05 8:33 PM, "Wimblees@aol.com" <Wimblees@aol.com> wrote:

> I have another question regarding the pedaling. As I said on one of my po=
sts,
> I really don't hear any difference when the piano player squeezes the ped=
al
> just a hair, or goes to one of about four different position, other than =
fully
> depressed. On a properly voiced hammer, there isn't supposed to be any ha=
rsh
> sounds. But what I am hearing is all the same sound, until the string hit=
> only 2 strings. Shouldn't the piano player also be trying to play a littl=
> different when using the una corde? I mean, it doesn't seem to do much go=
od to
> press the pedal, while still playing at the same volume. Isn't that defea=
ting
> the purpose, a little? That's like stepping on the brake while accelerati=
ng.
> =20
> Wim=20

Hi Wim,
    There will be a difference in sound if you have voiced the hammer for
that purpose. For instance, if you use the una corda voicing tool the
Steinway folks use =AD four needles close together in a hammer shank (I prefe=
a piece of Renner hornbeam packing strip, with five holes evenly spaced
drilled in a end and needles inserted. Spaces the needles a little farther
apart), and roll them on the surface of the hammer next to the string
grooves (just to the left), again a little deeper midway between string
grooves, and one final time deepest at the final una corda position, you
will have a nice gradient of different timbres. Similar effects can be had
using a single needle or any number of other needling arrangements. As, for
instance, angled insertion of the needles as I suggested in an earlier post=
.
    The point is that this is something the technician has to do. That=B9s
what una corda voicing is. If all you do is rely on the difference created
over time by playing the hammer, the differences will often be negligible
(until you have a fairly deep groove. Which you won=B9t let happen on a
concert or piano faculty studio instrument).
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico