[CAUT] Bench Day(s)

Avery Todd atodd@uh.edu
Tue, 22 Mar 2005 12:31:36 -0600

Ever have one of "those" days? I went into our piano lab last Friday to tune
an acoustic piano that's in there and discovered 4 broken Clavinova benches
laying in the corner under the grand! So, yesterday I reglued & clamped 2 of
them but had to cannibalize one that was too messed up to be worth repairing
anyway, for missing screws, parts, etc.

Today I put them together, returned them to the room and while I was there,
went through all the benches tightening screws & leg bolts. It's amazing
how many screws there are on those benches: 32 + the 4 leg bolts. Multiply
that times 16 keyboards and that's 512 screws & 64 bolts! Plus the two I
repaired (& 1 more in the shop) to fix. I even found a S&S & a Bose bench in
there.

Well, at least maybe that'll prevent any more from breaking for a while!
Now maybe I can get back to piano work! :-)

Avery

Avery Todd, RPT
Moores School of Music
University of Houston