voicing a lot. was Re: [CAUT] D complimented

Roger Jolly roger.j@sasktel.net
Tue, 22 Mar 2005 20:39:21 -0600

>This brings up another topic, regarding voicing. How often do you, or
>anyone else, voice the same piano? You install the dags on concert piano
>you voice a lot. How much is "a lot"? Every tuning, twice a year, before
>every concert?
>
>Not just you, Roger, but others. What I'm really getting at, is, can I
>tell my professors that the sound changes on the same instrument, and that
>a piano that sounds good today, will sound different tomorrow, because of
>a variety of reasons.
>
>Wim
Hi Wim,
                The concert grands get some with every tuning, even if it's
only a chop stick through the strings. About weekly.  Piano Prof's studios
every 6 months, and they need it. That's a fairly major voicing job each
time.
The concert grands in the busy Theatre ( several hard playing hours per
day)  get a light reshape, hammer fit, and complete voicing once a
year,  Hammers should be changed every 4 to 5 years, but money being what
it is. about 7years.

The sound quality of ANY PIANO IS CONSTANTLY CHANGING.   Voicing changes at
about the same rate as the tuning.  As you pointed out, for a variety of
reasons.  The state of a persons health and well being, also has an
effect.   I know I hear differently when I am tired,  and do my best
voicing work in the morning.

Regards Roger