[CAUT] Baldwin Info

Porritt, David dporritt@mail.smu.edu
Sun, 27 Mar 2005 10:33:14 -0600

Avery:

Is the Baldwin name cast in the plate?  I've seen a lot of counterfeit "Baldwins" over the years with some strange things on it.  The 6090 could be a factory work number.  In recent times, the shortest Baldwin with a 20-note bass has been the "L" (6'3") preceded by the "C".  Did it have a folding fall board?

dp

David M. Porritt
dporritt@smu.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: caut-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf Of Avery Todd
Sent: Sunday, March 27, 2005 9:38 AM
To: College and University Technicians
Cc: avery1@houston.rr.com
Subject: [CAUT] Baldwin Info

List,

I worked on a Baldwin grand Saturday and I have a question about the serial
number.
The plate has been redone sometime in the past but the serial number was
not replaced.
I found the number 6090 on the cheek blocks & key slip. Would I be correct in
assuming this is the serial number? If so, the Atlas lists that as being
built between
1895 & 1900. That seems a little old for this instrument.

It's app. 5'+ long (I didn't have a tape measure with me), has a 20 note
bass with 7
notes (F2-B2 in the tenor) also having bass strings. It's obviously been
restrung more
than once (it has 6/0 tuning pins!).

Except for the 20 note bass on a small piano (Baldwin doesn't, do they?)
the only other
thing that seemed different was the action rail where the hammer flanges
are screwed on.
It was painted a gold color, with a ledge app. ¾" - 1" wide extending out
from where the
screws are and a factory type, small Baldwin decal on it. I've never seen
an action with
that ledge before. but it was very handy for holding travel paper! :-)

My primary question though, is about the age. The instrument is now in a
Masonic Lodge &
the  lady who originally owned the piano told my customer (who plays there)
that she had
bought it new in the 1960's. Just because of the action frame design alone,
I seriously, seriously doubt that it was new then!

Can anyone confirm about the serial number location(s)? Thanks.

Avery