[CAUT] Baldwin Info

Avery Todd atodd@uh.edu
Mon, 28 Mar 2005 08:29:34 -0600

Dave,

At 10:33 AM 3/27/2005, you wrote:
>Avery:
>
>Is the Baldwin name cast in the plate?

I'm pretty sure it is. Also, the decal on the flange rail extension I
mentioned also looks like a factory thing.

>I've seen a lot of counterfeit "Baldwins" over the years with some strange
>things on it.  The 6090 could be a factory work number.

Tom Driscoll said on pianotech that it wasn't the serial number, so I'm
sure you're correct.

>In recent times, the shortest Baldwin with a 20-note bass has been the "L"
>(6'3") preceded by the "C".  Did it have a folding fall board?

Yes. A two-piece type that you have to halfway open up to get it and the
cheek blocks back in. It also had the spring type "locator" that the cheek
blocks fit onto coming out from the keyframe instead of the pin.

Being a lodge, it's a "pain" to get into because of being closed most of
the time, plus an alarm that has to be dealt with, so I guess I'll just
have to wait until the next time I'm called back to tune.

Thanks for all the replies.

Avery