[CAUT] New Department Administrators

Jeff Tanner jtanner at mozart.sc.edu
Thu Jun 15 12:49:05 MDT 2006

Hi Rob,
I've seen two new deans in my 8 seasons here at USC.  Both were
outsiders coming in, rather than promoted from within.  In both
cases, it took a year or two before the new dean had a grasp of what
he had to work with and how he was able to work the available
resources in with his vision.

Unless something is in process before a new leader comes on board,
I'd expect a reserved approach.  Both were reluctant to make good on
earlier dean's promises of raises and we still don't have a piano
maintenance budget.

I'm advising a small public school district on a piano purchase for
their new performing arts auditorium, and the interim superintendent
is trying to rush the piano purchase before the fiscal year ends,
because the next superintendent who takes the reins then is more
sports minded.

So, it's just a kind of wait and see or hurry up now before the new
chair comes in.  That's been my experience.

Jeff T

On Jun 14, 2006, at 8:29 PM, Rob & Helen Goodale wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> Our music department will be getting a new chair this summer.  This
> could mean a lot in terms of pianos.  We are in desperate need of
> new instruments.  Lately piano replacement funds have been
> appearing in occasional various lump amounts which has allowed the
> purchase of 17 pianos within the last few months.  I am told that
> another lump sum can be expected.  The prospect of this trend
> continuing, however, is not known.  We have at least another 25-30
> small and medium size grands to purchase in order to remedy our
> immediate needs.
>
> A new Chair could potentially introduce a new way of doing things.
> My feeling is that there are presently "too many cooks in the
> kitchen".  There are several individuals contributing to the
> process which in my opinion are hindering more than helping.
> Although the project involves an enormous amount of money and
> important decisions, I think this is a task can best be handled by
> two or three people rather than a "committee" that must debate and
> argue e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g.
>
> I'm sure many on this list have experienced administrative changes
> and certainly every university tech has fought the unsung battle of
> replacing old rotten pianos.  This change could either be a
> blessing or make things more complicated than ever.  It seems to me
> a first step is to find out a little about this person's past
> philosophies.  I would also be interested in hearing other
> experiences with new administrators.  Any thoughts/stories
> appreciated.
>
> Rob Goodale, RPT
> Las Vegas, NV

Jeff Tanner, RPT