[CAUT] Reading low humidity

Roger Wheelock roger@dampp-chaser.com
Thu Mar 2 18:28:30 MST 2006

Hi Fred and Debbie,

While this device is quite affordable, the spec. sheet lists the relative
humidity accuracy between 20-80% RH as +/- 3.5%, rising to +/- 5% at the
extremes.  They also list annual drift at 1% and offer no means (that I can
see) for recalibration.  The added cost over their temperature-only data
logger is $20.  This cost differential means there must be a low-end sensor
for humidity, similar to a $25 hygrometer.

By comparison a Dickson data logger is +/- 2% from 0-95% RH.  These drift
downward 1% per year.  They can be recalibrated.  The bad news is they cost
about $270.

Our experience is that performance improves with increasing price for most
electronic hygrometers and data loggers.  We have yet to see one that
shouldn't be recalibrated annually.  However, even when a unit drifts, it
can give accurate differences between two humidities.  This means that the
reading will become less accurate over time but the difference between a
max. and min. reading will stay fairly constant.

Roger
Dampp-Chaser Corp