[CAUT] Touch ups.. (and I ain't talking about makeup)

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Thu May 4 14:54:30 MDT 2006

At 01:50 PM 5/4/2006 -0500, Conrad wrote:
>Curtain??? Wazzat??? Around here, if I'm doing a touchup, I'm the halftime
>show that nobody would notice if there were a wardrobe malfunction.  It's
>kinda like tuning unisons INSIDE of a vacuum cleaner. Sucks, but it's got
>to be done.  All you can do is the best you can do in the din.

Curtain? Curtain?? It would ruin the ambience. They chatter while I'm
touching up, then they clap when I finish. I make a flourish (probably
looks really dorky) as I walk off, they laugh. Every time.

I really don't see why I would want to hide from these people. All the
concert-goers know me by sight after awhile. You couldn't buy advertising
like that. (and I don't buy any advertising.)

I go up if I hear anything first half which I don't like or feel dubious
about (maybe 1/3 of the concerts). Rarely I check it over and touch
nothing, sometimes just one, sometimes I'm tweaking a bunch.

Solo or chamber music or jazz -- I don't triage by program type, except
that sometimes if it looks like it's going to be a rock concert, I may not
stay for it. Concerti one rarely gets a chance to touch up, because there's
usually only one on the program. (What you hear is what you get ...)

Susan