[CAUT] Key Bushings

Ken Zahringer ZahringerK at missouri.edu
Fri May 5 10:54:18 MDT 2006

I¹m just running into all sorts of odd stuff here lately.

We have two S&S 45s from 1953 here that need a lot of work.  My first step
was going to be to replace the key bushings, but when I opened the piano up
and looked at the keys, I found the bushings were set below the surface of
the key button, and the wood was deformed right next to the bushing, as if
the bushing had been installed in the usual manner, and then punched down
almost 1/16².  I have attached a picture, but it doesn¹t  have the detail I
would have liked.  All the key buttons are like this, and all the front
bushings as well, so I suspect it is factory original.  It really doesn¹t
look like the results from one of those ³key bushing tightener² jobs.

I have only worked on a couple of SS45s; has anyone seen this before?  My
main concern is that when I try to remove the bushings I¹ll take a big chunk
of the wood, the part that was punched down, along with it.  I wonder if I
ought to just plan on replacing the buttons.  What do y¹all think?

Thanks,
Ken Z.
--
Ken Zahringer, RPT