[CAUT] Touch ups.. (and I ain't talking about makeup)

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Mon May 8 20:44:33 MDT 2006

At 09:50 PM 5/8/2006 -0400, you wrote:
>This is a Hubbard kit harpsichord made in 1979 with uhhhhh.... "personal
>problems" and man did I know it.
>I *was* on the nervous side during the whole concert, but I must admit it
>was a good boy.

Yeah, yesterday I put two brass strings on the college's one.
Not much practice at that, but they held. The loops matched
the originals, the second coil was better than the first, but
both were better than a lot of the wire on there. (No wonder
they break like sugar threads, with all those cobbles, kinks,
overlaps, etc.) I wonder if I should study up a little more,
order some good wire, try to obtain the original scaling (so
much replaced wire it's anybody's guess at the moment) and
sell them a restringing of the thing. It was made in 1975.

I tuned it carefully, but when the continuo cello is just a
trace sharp (they tend to do that, the sharpness enhances
the cello tone as they hear it) it hardly matters how
well one tuned.