[CAUT] CA/pinblock question

ed440 at mindspring.com ed440 at mindspring.com
Wed May 10 13:11:30 MDT 2006

Andrew, Lance and Conrad-

Thank you for your responses.

I asked the question because in a recent discussion someone gave a rather authoritative opinion that CA glue is a second rate repair for a loose tuning pin, and should only be used if the piano is going to be discarded, since it might cause some unspecified damage to the pinblock.

This fear of unspecified possible damage was also stated in a Journal article a few years ago, and was further quoted as a reason to avoid the "controversial" use of CA glue to repair loose pins.

To me this seemed like so much word spinning.   While I cannot prove the non-existance of unspecified future possibilities, I can ask if anyone has any problems to report.  (So far, no.)

My personal experience is that CA glue is an excellent repair for a loose pin.  Applied through a hypodermic needle, it can be placed into the tuning pin bushing or hole with virtually no splatter or dribble, and just a few drops generally do the job.  Once solidified it is quite inert, and not likely to cause any changes in the wood.

If there is any chance the piano will later be restrung with the original pinblock, I prefer not to use shims or larger pins, which will complicate repinning with a few odd sized pins.  So, I use CA, which is also fast, easy and cheap.

Now I am wondering if anyone knows how many angels can be CA'd to the head of a pin.

Ed Sutton