[CAUT] Getting paid for non-university events

David M. Porritt dporritt at smu.edu
Mon Aug 20 14:42:53 MDT 2007

Robert:

A lot of this depends on your arrangement with the university.  When I was a
contractor I invoiced the Music Division each month for the work I did -
they sent a check.  When I did work for others I invoiced them and got paid.

Now that I'm a staff member the university can't pay me for invoices so if
it's an outside organization I can invoice them directly (the outside group)
or if it is a different part of the university I do it on-the-clock and that
other university division pays Music for my service.  I get org numbers and
contact person for each event and Music does the billing.  Actually since
Music bills for more than just my time, that extra money goes to help my
budget.

I'm sure there are lots of ways of going about it but generally
accounting-type-people only pay invoices.  They won't even pay statements
unless there are invoices to back it up.  Invoices show a specific time and
event, shows the cost and tells where to send the money.  Invoice the
Performing arts center if they are the ones who charged the clients.

dave

David M. Porritt, RPT

dporritt at smu.edu

  _____