[CAUT] Getting paid for non-university events

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Mon Aug 20 15:44:38 MDT 2007

I'll ditto Dave. Since I am now a university employee, I bill non-
university groups directly, and get paid directly. But for a non-
music department university group, the music department bills them
and collects. I just do that work "on the clock" as part of my
regular hours. And I do paperwork with our department accountant to
have the entity billed, and the bill collected (all happens
electronically). And, like your case, money collected goes into a
piano maintenance account, for parts and whatnot. I CAN be paid by
the university for extra work, but only at my regular hourly rate, as
extra comp (no overtime, as I am half time). I decline to do so.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm at unm.edu