[CAUT] Scientific study? - Stainless wire (Help on the way!)

Wimblees at aol.com Wimblees at aol.com
Tue Aug 28 11:33:31 MDT 2007

In a message dated 8/28/07 4:54:44 A.M. Hawaiian Standard Time,
dltassinpiano at juno.com writes:

I bet the Salt Water/Air on the islands in Hawaii are  real  "killers."
HOW do you move pianos from island to island ??
Oh, Hey !!!   Have you ridden the NEW  multi-million-dollar,
3-story "Island Hopper" Ferry, yet ??  I wonder if  they'll
let you move a piano on it over the water?   Man,  I'd be
careful rolling a piano from beach-house to  beach-house.
Can you imagine the time you'd have up-righting a  piano
if your casters got off into the sand?   Sounds  like a GREAT
place to push and sell Dampp-Chasers.

Be sure to keep your strings wiped off; dust off the bridge,  hitch pins,
coils,
tuning pin collars, etc...  Vacuum and dust often.   BEST corrosion preventer
I've found yet.  [if one has 'new' strings]  A "dry" 2-inch paint brush and
vacuum hose works wonders !!  I  suggest removing debris first.
Just teach your customers what to do ...   like putting gas in their car ...
it must be done often to keep it running nicely  !!

On more than several occasions I have tuned pianos sitting next to open
windows, with the wind coming through. These houses are less than a mile  from the
ocean. When I got to house, the grands had their lids  closed, and had string
covers. I'm seeing a small grand on Friday  for a second time to clean it up,
but the damage to the strings has already been  done. The guy moved here from
Washington DC just 3 years ago, and the  effects of the salt air are very
obvious. I'm just cleaning it, and regulating  the action, but he will have the
piano restrung in a year or so.

No, I haven't taken the Super Ferry yet. There is a big controversy  here
right now. Environmentalist got the state supreme court to halt the Ferry,  which
was supposed to start service this past weekend, citing a lack of an  in
depth environmental study.  In response, the ferry offered $5 one way  fares,
(normally $45), and went ahead and started anyway. Protesters on Kauai,  (the
furthest out island), kept the ship from docking by literally swimming and
surfing between it and the dock. This lasted for about half an  hour until the coast
guard came and put a stop to the protesters. But this  morning headline in
the paper reads, "Ferry turned back by Kauai's protesters.

I want the Ferry. The cost of going over there will be comparable to flying
and renting a car, but it will be much easier. I will be able to carry ALL of
my  tools, supplies, etc, in my car, instead of hand carrying one big tool
case, and  having to check it. I would then also be able to take an action back
with me,  instead of doing all the work in the customer's house, and then not
having  everything with me.

Moving pianos from island to island is no big deal. Cargo ship go between
the island all the time, which carry trucks, etc. (but no passengers and cars).
But it does cost a little more than your normal piano move, about  $1500 each
way. This is the main argument the Ferry people  have, BTW. Why can cargo
ships go between islands, but not the Ferry.

Most of the pianos I have seen have a dammpchaser already. Dealers push  them
as part of the sale.

I'll keep in mind the cleaning suggestions. Never thought that sea air
attracts dust, but it makes sense.

Willem (Wim)  Blees, RPT
Piano Tuner/Technician
Honolulu,  Hawaii