[CAUT] driving tuning pins on a samick grand

Willem Blees wblees at bama.ua.edu
Sun Feb 4 10:53:18 MST 2007

Quoting daniel carlton <hacicspe at gmail.com>:

> hi list
>
> i'm driving tuning pins on a samick grand. i have the PB supported
> with
> the PB support from Schaff, but the bottom lamination is separating
> from the
> PB. i've included pictures. i've got the nuts on the PB support as
> tight as
> they'll go, but the separation still happens. i've made my through
> half the
> pins; i just wanted to see if anyone thinks if i should stop. by the
> way, i
> pulled a small piece of the lamination off, so that's why there's a
> chunk
> missing in one of the photos.
>
> thanks
>
> daniel carlton

Daniel

I have to agree with Ed, Why are you driving pins in this piano? If
they are not holding, you need to replace the pins. I have had
experience with Samick pins not holding. This is a warrentee problem.
The holes were not drilled right to begin with. (I presume the drill
bit got too dull or too hot when they drilled the block.)  If the piano
is still under warrentee, contact Samick. If it is out of warrentee,
repin with 0/4 pins.

Willem Blees, RPT
Piano Tuner/Technician
School of Music