[CAUT] Studio trucks/dollies

Ken Zahringer ZahringerK at missouri.edu
Wed Feb 7 14:02:28 MST 2007

I have installed a few sets of the Schaff 4009 dollies on uprights over the
years, and have been quite happy with the results.  That said, I think
Jurgen¹s comments earlier today on casters vs truck for grands are equally
applicable to uprights:

³A large caster with ball bearings will do the best job of moving the piano
with minimal stress to the legs.  Casters that the piano moves easily on
will need brakes to keep it from moving during play.  Casters that do not
have or  "need" brakes will not roll well and will stress the legs, which
can lead to accidents.²

That is, in the context of an upright, a good set of casters is still your
best bet for moving a piano around the building easily.  IMHO, if you¹re
going somewhere casters won¹t take you, you need to be on a piano mover¹s
dolly.  For less than the price of a dolly, you can get a set of Schaff 592
or 2592 which should last until the second coming.  Also worth noting, the
Yamaha P22 standard casters, which are famously easy-rolling and durable,
are essentially the same as Schaff 1592, and they¹re CHEAP.  I¹d try again
to sell him casters.  Something that appears ³more rugged² is likely only to
invite less care in moving, I think.

Ken Z.

--
Ken Zahringer, RPT