[CAUT] Studio trucks/dollies

Ken Zahringer ZahringerK at missouri.edu
Sat Feb 10 07:15:40 MST 2007

Hey, Jeff,

I have used the 4009 dollies in the past and found they worked fine..  I
haven¹t ever used the heavier dollies; none of my clients have wanted to go
the extra cost.

That was then.  Nowadays, I would prefer to put a good set of casters on a
piano.  They move around just as well, with reasonable care, look better,
and just work better all around, I think.  The only reason I would put a
dolly on a studio piano is if the case were damaged where the casters go,
probably from careless moving.  Dollies are not a panacea for moving.
Remember the picture posted on this list just a month or two ago, of a D
resting on the lyre with all three legs broken off after someone decided
that more velocity was the way to get the piano, on a stage truck, over a
threshold?  They were mistaken.  Better to impress upon all concerned the
importance of being careful with the piano.  If that is unsuccessful, you¹ll
just keep getting called back to do repairs, whether to dollies or casters.

BTW, I don¹t do drywall.

Regards,
Ken Z.

--