[CAUT] How many DC tanks, (was undercover Heat n Bond)

Jeff Tanner jtanner at mozart.sc.edu
Tue Feb 27 08:37:39 MST 2007

On Feb 26, 2007, at 8:17 PM, Barbara Richmond wrote:

> I'd like your opinion (or anybody else's).  Here in Central
> Illinois we go through some pretty large humidity swings.  I
> serviced, for the first time, a Steinway B, in an majestic, though
> old, brick country house (high, high ceilings, hot water heat),
> where they do not normally use air conditioning in the summer.
> This piano has a DC system, installed by a guy who generally makes
> "big deal" out of a lot of stuff.  Anyway, it's a two humidifier
> system, under the beams; he attached plywood the same rectangular
> shape of the baffles to the beams.  Then the tanks hang pretty far
> below the plywood, the baffles hang between the tanks and the
> plywood.  Darn, why didn't I have my camera with me.  It looks
> genuinely hideous and I still had to do a significant pitch raise,
> so I'm not sure how much this installation is really helping.  Then
> there is an issue with the keys in the summer.  I would like to do
> an in-between the beams installation with undercover, and an added
> heater bar under the keybed.  I'm also recommending an Edwards
> string cover.  I think that the high humidity in the summer is the
> bigger problem.  OK, so here's the question.  If I switched to a
> one tank system and used an undercover, do you think it would do
> the job?  My not very good hygrometer said that the humidity level
> was at 28% when I was there last week, so it doesn't appear to be
> one of those horrifically dry environments (for winter).   Would
> you automatically put a two tank system in a B or would you only
> put two tanks in when dryness was extreme?

Hi Barbara,
I've found some pretty interesting installations, too.  If installers
would just consult with Dampp Chaser before getting creative, things
would work much more smoothly.

Dampp-Chaser was also sending out a large fold out of piano
schematics and recommendations for a while.  You might contact them.
I believe it was free.  I haven't seen the ones on the web site, but
they are probably the same.  Part of their extensive research
involves the most effective installation, so they are the ultimate
authority of what you should do.

The only issue I have a problem with with the two tank system with
undercover is the difficulty involved in servicing it.  It is so much
of an issue, in fact, that it is too much easier to say, "oh, we'll
do it next time."  But if you change to a one tank system, I believe
you will have to repurchase it.  I don't believe a two tank system
can be converted -- at least Dampp Chaser recommends you don't mess
with the plumbing on a two tank system.  Certainly any remaining
warranty would be voided.

Here in the Southeast, we have more trouble with high humidity than
low.  That really isn't the issue because the system continually
cycles day in day out year around to average 42% (or whatever
humidistat you choose).  I installed a two tank system with
undercover in a new B in a church 4 or 5 years ago now.  It's an
above the beams installation and I added a third dehumidifier rod
(24" 25W) installed along one of the long beams.  It also has a
double padded instrument cover by Jill, and they keep it on the piano
unless it is being played.  That piano doesn't move.  It is as stable
as granite.

The systems on my Bs here at the school predate the availability of
the two tank systems and I installed them below the beams - at the
time, that was the recommendation if you weren't using undercovers.
I really need to add undercovers, but I just haven't had time to redo
the installations to above the beam, so I haven't been able to get to
that.  But to compare the effectiveness of the single tank system
with no undercover to the two tank system with undercover is to
compare night and day.

I don't like the heater bar under the keybed.  Too much risk of
drying out the pinblock, and I have long legs.  It burns.  I think DC
recommends against it, too.  Since it is in their home, a Steinway B
will be a showpiece as much as a musical instrument.  I think the
string cover might go over like a lead brick in that situation.
Recommend they keep the piano closed as much as possible when not in
use or being displayed.

I would use what is there and simply reinstall it per Dampp-Chaser's
recommendation and add the undercover.

Jeff Tanner, RPT
University of South Carolina