[CAUT] huge pitch raise question

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Tue Jan 9 16:14:21 MST 2007

> All this time I was thinking I introduced some "extra" type of tension-
> (that I could feel)  that wouldn't normally be on there if this had been
> close to pitch upon my arrival.
 >
> I would love to see some wacky scientific experiment with lighted
> gizmo's showing me what's happening (at the tuning pin especially) after
> I yank 50-75 cents of string tension around it.

The pins will feel tighter as you near pitch from
Wwwwaaaaaayyyyyyy down there, from both directly from string
tension and increased friction in the block from the added
tension. It's usually not that dramatic a change though. What
*is* a dramatic change is the increased resistance from a
string that's reached it's elastic limit and is about to
break. What you're describing sounds like that to me, but I
don't think of any reason it should be happening if the
strings aren't obviously rusted or damaged. You typically have
quite a bit of overpull tolerance, particularly in the
midrange. If you said, I apparently missed it. Where are they
breaking? The coil, Vbar, bridge??? Are you sure your ETD
offset is zeroed and you're not pulling them a semitone+
sharp? That's probably a dumb question, but I'm a fork basher
and don't have any idea how possible or likely that is.

Bummer,
Ron N