[CAUT] S&S Hearing Aida!?

reggaepass at aol.com reggaepass at aol.com
Tue Jan 23 12:09:30 MST 2007

Jim and List,

  To underscore your point, I seem to recall reading somewhere that
early in the 20th century, as Steinway carved out its position as king
of the hill, many companies making other products wanted to license the
coveted Steinway name. (Refrigerators were one example.) No dice. Hence
we have (or used to have) the superlative "Cadillac" of this or that
(albeit through idiom rather than license). Whatever factors compelled
Steinway to maintain the high ground on this issue no longer seem to
apply. I, too, think that this development is a pointed commentary on
the down side of capitalism as we experience it today.

 Alan E.