[CAUT] Weber grand block

Ken Zahringer ZahringerK at missouri.edu
Fri Oct 5 09:40:58 MDT 2007

Hey, Nancy,

I think you¹ve got a good plan.  I wouldn¹t want to try to modify the case;
there be dragons in that land.  I guess my first choice would be to add on
shelf pieces and make a complete new block, if there is room for that at
both ends.  If not, then you have identified the only other reasonable
option.

My only advice would be to make sure you are completely confident of the
structural integrity of the solid base piece.  I have plugged a few blocks
in the past and have usually not been completely happy with the outcome.  On
a couple of occasions I have had a plugged block fail almost immediately
because the old block wasn¹t strong enough to hold the plugs, pins, string
tension.  Fortunately I was just working for wages at the time and the redo
came out of the other guy¹s pocket!  Having a new laminated section, though,
should help a lot.

Here¹s an idea: this might be an opportunity to imitate, and gain some of
the benefits of, Ron Nossaman¹s ³hybrid² block.  Use Delignit for the cap;
its greater strength may take some stress of the old solid piece.  Cut your
plugs from some multi-lam stock, though, for smoother tuning.  Cutting plugs
from multi-lam is also a lot easier than from any other material, I think.
Any thoughts on this, Ron?

Regards,
Ken Z.

--