[CAUT] Weber grand block

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Fri Oct 5 10:02:59 MDT 2007

> Here’s an idea: this might be an opportunity to imitate, and gain some
> of the benefits of, Ron Nossaman’s “hybrid” block.  Use Delignit for the
> cap; its greater strength may take some stress of the old solid piece.
>  Cut your plugs from some multi-lam stock, though, for smoother tuning.
>  Cutting plugs from multi-lam is also a lot easier than from any other
> material, I think.  Any thoughts on this, Ron?
>
> Regards,
> Ken Z.

Not bad! I like it. If the block seems otherwise solid, rout
off about 9mm from the top, plug with multilam, and recap with
9mm Delignit. The other option is cutting the thing out and
duplicating, which brings up the side mortises. If there's
room for a shelf on one end but not the other, it can still be
mortised into the side without the shelf (with work), but it's
going to take a while. I don't typically recommend plugging,
but this could be a reasonable exception, especially with the
added strength of the one piece Delignit cap. Good thought Ken.
Ron N