[CAUT] Job Opening, U. of Michigan, Ann Arbor

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Tue Oct 9 14:09:20 MDT 2007

Hi Jim.

It used to be such. In fact it was so strict that unless you had achieve
Meister grade you were forbidden by law to have your own workshop.  You
could only work as a journeyman under a Meister.  The law was changed in
2003 I think because of the European Union getting involved with its
policies of making things the same in all countries.

Both solutions have their plusses and minuses... but its a fact that up
until the present Germany has had a very very fine park of highly
skilled and qualified piano technicians... and people calling them were
assured someone who knew what they were doing and had a good sense of
his/her limitations.  The same can be said for Switzerland where I
believe that practice is still enforced by law. (Switzerland has refused
membership in the EU).  Of course any certified tech can still do less
then professional work.... but there is an accountability in the old
system that has dissapeared.  A certified Klavierbaur Gesel or Meister
has no excuses for not providing the professional service they are paid for.

As for the salary bit... seems to me that by and large University techs
in the states are less well paid then very well established techs... but
then there is something to be said about job security, pension... and
the rest of it.

Cheers
RicB

    Ric,

    Isn't membership in the "Klavierbaur association" mandatory for working
    on pianos in Germany? At least they don't have 80% of piano techs
    totally outside of the organization (not members at all), but maybe
    that's a moot point.

    Your point of benefits is a good one. Here at BYU they estimate the
    benefits "package" at $17,000.00 per year. That would make the
    $39,000.00 salary actually be $56,000.00. While that's not "enough" for
    me, it might be a fairly average wage in the United States, and maybe
    shouldn't be dismissed as total nonsense. In actuality, it ain't that
    far below my BYU salary... Thank goodness for outside work.

    Regards,
    Jim Busby BYU