[CAUT] Job Opening, U. of Michigan, Ann Arbor

Jeff Tanner jtanner at mozart.sc.edu
Tue Oct 9 12:27:23 MDT 2007

On Oct 9, 2007, at 1:16 PM, Jim Busby wrote:

> Here at BYU they estimate the
> benefits "package" at $17,000.00 per year. That would make the
> $39,000.00 salary actually be $56,000.00.

That all depends on the employee contribution.

> While that's not "enough" for
> me,

You certainly couldn't support a family on that in our market without
some sort of supplement (government assistance, moonlighting, etc.)
and we're "supposed" to have a low cost of living.  Sure is high
where the school districts are good, though, and it's a heck of a lot
higher than where my wife and I grew up.

> it might be a fairly average wage in the United States, and maybe
> shouldn't be dismissed as total nonsense.

I gotta believe Michigan would be one of the more expensive states to
live in.

We must discourage looking at each other's salary packages in
comparison and look to the local market.

Average tuning price x 20 tuning equivalents per week x 44 weeks per
year ought to get you in the neighborhood of the total salary package
including bennies and leave.

Then you have to ask yourself if you want to pay for your
transportation, tools, phone, maybe even part of your housing
expenses, etc., before or after taxes.  Do you want to pay FICA and
have income taxes withheld on your gross or net earnings?

Jeff Tanner, RPT
University of South Carolina