[CAUT] Job Opening, U. of Michigan, Ann Arbor

Jeff Tanner jtanner at mozart.sc.edu
Thu Oct 11 14:22:12 MDT 2007

On Oct 11, 2007, at 2:34 PM, Jim Busby wrote:

> Jeff,
>
>  I’m beginning to understand better the PTG position of a CAUT
> Credential being for RPTs only. While personally I would like to
> involve non PTG CAUTs somehow I think it would be a fatal error for
> PTG to allow it. Once a “back door” is opened it can never be shut.
> (IMO)

Hi Jim,
Absolutely.  I understand that too. PTG couldn't survive any other
way.  But at the same time it severely damages our credibility.
We're selling our product, but in reality it is like saying a Yamaha
is better than a Kawai or vice versa.  That is why I have my doubts
it will ever work.  We can only offer our alternative that is PTG
endorsed.

Best case scenario, it will be adopted and fully accepted as THE
standard.  But we have a long way to go, as long as the institutions
our faculties see as the model don't even hire PTG members and fare
quite well without PTG's meddling.  We have a big selling job to do
that will have to overcome our own self serving interests to prove
superior to other alternatives.

I think the RPT track is extremely valuable, especially for people
like me, who took the unorthodox "mentored" route rather than tech
school or correspondence course path.  The RPT exams basically verify
that our skills are good enough, maybe not congruent with those who
were trained through other more structured programs, but good
enough.  What we learn on the job is what seasons any of us, and I'm
not sure we can devise a one size fits all test for that.

Jeff