[CAUT] Upright geometry problem (Nordiska)

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Mon Oct 15 00:59:41 MDT 2007

I run into this quite frequently, (blow reduced tho as you corrected
yourself)  The damper spring is well known as a source of this kind of
thing, but I get the sense that the jack return spring is less so.  It
can actually do the job on its own really IME.  Sometimes these things
are really strong... especially on cheap pianos. Its almost like the
manufacturers arent aware that the thing can be too strong.

Cheers
RicB

    Hi Jim-

    We found that the blow had been increased and the dip increased so
    much in
    an attempt to give aftertouch it wasn¹t getting due to the strong
    damper,
    hammer and jack springs. You just couldn¹t play hard enough to
    overcome the
    spring strength and get the jack to clear.

    Just my 2 cents.

    David
    David C. Brown
    Arizona State University