[CAUT] NASM review

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Tue Oct 16 19:49:51 MDT 2007

Hi Alan,
    Our last NASM review, I wrote an evaluation of the condition of the
pianos, and of its maintenance and replacement programs (the latter being
non-existent). I included in my report a recommendation for a rational
on-going replacement program. This was done in collaboration with my chair,
and was submitted as part of the department's "self-evaluation." I suggested
to him that we take this approach to try to be evaluated as "deficient" in
this area, so that later we could use that as leverage with upper
administration to get something done.
    It worked like a charm. As a result, we got permission to institute a
student fee of $5 per credit hour on every music department class, proceeds
to go to piano replacement and maintenance. This happened after the original
proposal to have the university come up with such funds was quickly
rejected.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico