[CAUT] lighter touchweight

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Wed Oct 17 15:49:36 MDT 2007

Hi Jeff

The strip behind the balance rail pins is just a quick variant of the
half punching trick.  Yes, alone it will raise the keys a very slight
amount. Not enough to worry about in the first instance since it is just
as quickly removed.  You can quickly assess whether a bit of added
leverage will please your player this way.  If this does the trick for
him/her... then you can adjust your leverage permanently in the way that
you feel is best.

Interesting case study you have posed so far I have to say.  You give us
very acceptable UW / DW parameters, a piano response tonal wise the
pianist likes, an action that is both finely regulated and well groomed
with very low friction levels.... and the pianist wants it lighter....
I'm reallllly curious as to what a Stanwood SW ratio on this instrument
would turn out to be,  and in particular how heavy the front weights and
strike weights are.  You say four leads in the bass... ? big leads and
all close to the front of the key ?... or smaller and back towards the
middle ?

Course it could just be a case of a pianist who just plain likes a very
light touch....  In which case you are going to have trouble keeping
your UW's from dropping too low.  22 grams static is my absolute bottom
line personally and really I go for a minimum of 24.

Cheers
RicB

    Thanks. I am familiar with the touch/tone relationship. Once a little
    juicing made a player feel like it was a little lighter.  This guy is
    quite an accomplished jazz player. He loves the warm tone and doesn't
    want any hammer work to change the tone. The hammers were filed not
    too long ago. They are tapered nicely. Keypins and capstans have been
    polished and lubed. Key bushings are in good shape.  I have never
    heard of this technique mentioned by others of putting a thin strip
    of paper or felt punching behind the balance rail pin. Wouldn't that
    affect key height?  Or this is just as a test?

    Thanks again to all,

    Jeff