[CAUT] CAUT Endorsement (was Re: Job Opening, U. of Michigan, Ann Arbor)

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Fri Oct 19 09:56:11 MDT 2007

Oooops!  pretty funny Richard,

Paul

"rwest1 at unl.edu" <rwest1 at unl.edu>
Sent by: caut-bounces at ptg.org
10/19/2007 10:21 AM
Please respond to
College and University Technicians <caut at ptg.org>

cc

Subject
Re: [CAUT] CAUT Endorsement (was Re:  Job Opening, U. of Michigan, Ann
Arbor)

Make that the school of hard "knocks."  What a place for spell check to
fail me.  Hope it was good for a laugh.

Richard

On Oct 19, 2007, at 9:29 AM, rwest1 at unl.edu wrote:

Hi, Jim,

After I got out of Western Iowa Tech, I thought I knew quite a bit about
pianos.  I quickly learned that I still had a lot to learn.  I barely knew
enough to pass my RPT exam.  In the 35 years since, then, I would have to
say that the expansion of my knowledge was based on experience, i.e. a
problem occurrs that I haven't encountered before and I have to deal with
it.  Hopefully I fix the problem.  In a nutshell that's what I mean by
"experience based."

A little book that was particularly helpful early in my career was a book
titled The Piano Tuners Pocket Companion by Oliver Faust.  On one side of
the page there was a symptom and on the other was the solution.  Early on
that got me through a lot of repairs, but as I expanded my knowledge, I
realized that repairs aren't always a simple symptom/solution question.
Dampers are a good example of what I mean.  You have a ringing damper, but
a plethora of possible  solutions including ones that don't even have
anything to do with the actual damper you're working on (sympathetic
vibrations or a duplex length of string).  But with perseverance you
figure out where the problem lies and learn what to look for.   This
becomes an experienced based repair that you add to your mental data bank.

Experience gives you a bag of "tricks" to draw from to help diagnose
problems, but these tricks of the trade aren't compiled and written down
and so it's hard for beginners to get what they need to know, without
going through the school of hard kocks.

The problem in developing materials is multifaceted.  First there's
figuring out how to deal with the multilayered nature of our work.  Second
there's the problem of who's going to be using the materials.  Let's face
it, we aren't all equally gifted in the mechanical arts.  Some people
hardly need an explanation and others need detailed explanations and even
then may screw up.

So when I pose the question:  What does a university tech need to know and
how does he/she acquire that knowledge, I relate first to my own
experience.  I learned to be less compromising and more exacting in my
work.  If I wasn't, I'd hear about it.  I went to PTG meetings and picked
up ideas there.  I scratched my head a lot and just spent the time it took
to learn how to work on things like harpsichords, an inventory, reports,
etc. etc.  I persevered.  But it would have been helpful if I'd had a book
like Oliver Faust's that gave straightforward solutions to common
problems.  Also I realized that learning multiple ways of doing something,
forced me to think about what works best for me.  Key bushing is an
example.  I've tried a whole host of different ways to bush keys.  I'm
still looking for the perfect system.  I've settled on a system that isn't
particularly fast and efficient, but it gives me fairly predictable
results.

The first priority in concert work in getting it right.  Speed and
efficiency should also be there, but not necessarily.  Especially for the
mechanically challenged.  Sometimes doing a job slowly but predictably is
the only way.

I don't know if my longwinded explanation helps, but there it is.  I'm
glad you asked, because it helped me try to try to get a better grasp of
how we learn this profession.  We don't write or teach in a vacuum.
Perhaps the greatest challenge is getting through to people.  That means
we need to know how people learn so that our materials reach them.  I
don't know that PTG has been particularly good at addressing this aspect
of learning.

Sorry I took so long to reply.  I've had lots on my plate this week.
Retirement isn't about just sitting around and getting bored or watching a
screen all day.

Richard West