[CAUT] CAUT Endorsement

Ted Sambell edward.sambell at sympatico.ca
Wed Oct 24 19:59:12 MDT 2007

Re: [CAUT] CAUT EndorsementIt would seem logical to first define what the duties of a CAUT should be, and come up with a job description, then aim for excellence within these limits. It is easy to rationalize a watering down  of standards, but we can never achieve perfection, at least I can't, and unless we aim high we may not even attain mediocrity. The French philosipher, Voltaire once said, 'The best is the enemy of the good'. Despite decades of educational effort, one still sees an enormous amount of truly dreadful  work being done, usually in private homes of course. It stigmatizes us all. Ours is by no means the only field which is plagued by poor quality of service. The Canadian Broadcasting Corporation just made a documentary on computer servicing. They had a small fault made in a computer, then called in ten different service companies. Five misdiagnosed what was a simple problem,  and recommended costly replacement parts, two tried to sell a new computer, and one managed to escalate the estimate to $2000, from what should not have exceeded $25. Two fixed the problem correctly, but charged over $120. One technician, who worked in Best Buy told how a woman brought her computer in and he found  that it only needed a wire to be plugged in, so he did not charge her, then was yelled at for half an hour by his manager for not charging the minimum service fee of $50. Our business is probalby lily white in comparison, but I think society needs to take a hard look at itself. I know I am preaching to the converted, but let us not be beguiled into the notion  that routine work only requires routine effort or abilities. The status quo does not exisist; one is either progressing  or lin a state of decline.

Ted Sambell