[CAUT] 1098's (and "all Steinway)

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Fri Dec 5 13:31:06 PST 2008

I don't think the issue is whether or not there is "some virtue" in a 1098,
the broader question is what to buy, how can the institution best use the
limited funds that they have, how well protected is the investment, what
should one expect in terms of replacement and what are the associated costs
with each manufacturer.  These should be the considerations both on this
piano specifically and in general terms on larger acquisitions.  It can be
complicated to assess all this because different manufacturers offer
different options at significantly different costs and budgets presented by
universities are often not balanced adequately between acquisition, service
and replacement expectations.  So two main points:

1.       Compared to what.  A 1098 is certainly better than a Winter spinet
but if you sat 10 pianists down with a new 1098 and a new U5 side by side
and asked them which they preferred to play and practice on I imagine the U5
would win hands down.  Since the cost factor allows you to purchase at least
one U5 (and I'm not saying there aren't other possibilities, I'm using this
as a point of discussion) and probably more than one with additional
possibilities for creative financing, auctions, short term loans that may be
present with the Yamaha and not the Steinway, I think you would be remiss
not to advise looking beyond Steinway before a decision is made.  Even if
the goal is to simply be able to use the name Steinway as a marketing tool
there may be other considerations.   The measure may not be simply Steinway
versus Yamaha, in this case, but 1098s versus new U5s or Model S's versus
new C7s.  Then the benefit of the promotional package may be more difficult
to demonstrate if not lost altogether.  Many lay consumers don't
differentiate between the performance characteristics of various models and
there is, obviously, a difference.

2.       What about servicing.  Leaving aside the issue of ease of service
there is the bigger issue of service expectations and costs.   Most of the
time requirements of servicing are underestimated and/or undervalued.  If
you exhaust the budget on boutique acquisitions and leave little for the
requisite maintenance then your investment may both present poorly and
deteriorate more quickly.  Perhaps the better solution would be to buy an
higher end 2nd tier model (or two) and devote a higher portion of the
remaining budget to more frequent servicing, installation of humidity
control systems and associated maintenance, and parts replacement.  You may
end up with better performing models to begin with, more of them and  more
money left over to increase frequency and depth of service.

David Love

www.davidlovepianos.com