[CAUT] 1098's (and "all Steinway)

Christopher Purdy purdy at ohio.edu
Fri Dec 5 14:41:48 PST 2008

David,

You have some great points.

On your first point, that's one of the things I hope to learn by my
asking all of you these questions.  Those of you with 1098's in
practice rooms, do the students like them?  Do they prefer them?  Are
they ignored?  How is tuning stability in a practice room environment,
etc?  Of course there are other considerations.  Given a blank check
and carte blanche, I would want more diversity.  But if an all
Steinway campaign sells more tickets, will we be happy with the
limitations?

And on your second point, a maintenance budget is a very big part of
our campaign funding.  I have been sitting here "crunching" numbers on
Steinway's institutional service guidelines modeling software.  They
created a specific list of parts inventory that you should have in
stock.  It also, like the CAUT institutional guidelines, figures in
how many technicians are supposed to be on staff and the frequency of
service and tuning expected on the pianos.  Part of what we would plan
to raise in a campaign is an endowment for piano service budget.

I started down this path (kicking and screaming at first) because of
budget.  In raising this kind of money, I expect the all Steinway
approach to have a definite advantage.  What potential donor is going
to bite at a generic "we need to buy pianos" campaign?  But, the
concept of having their name attached to an all Steinway school has
class.  Ask anyone on the street what the word Steinway means and they
will probably tell you it's one of the best pianos in the world.
Something anyone can relate to.  But will the end justify the means?
Will students and faculty be happy with just one brand?  Will I be
happy having to maintain the beasts for the rest of my career?  And
yes, will we be able to afford to maintain them and fund a replacement
schedule in the future?

What I'm learning so far is that I need to be open to the possibility
and learn what I can from all of you CAUT's out there.  If I go along,
I want to know that I'm making the best decision.  If I go against it,
I want to be able to defend my position with as much data as I can
gather.

Thanks for so many great posts from everyone,

Chris

Christopher D. Purdy R.P.T.
Registered Piano Technician
School of Music, Ohio University