[CAUT] RH? Please enlighten me.

Jim Busby jim_busby at byu.edu
Tue Dec 9 09:30:29 PST 2008

List,

The recent post on relative humidity has me wondering what RH really means. Don Ms funny post about "death" with humidity being too low shows that many (myself included) don't understand RH.

For instance, when I heard that the RH was 100% in Louisiana I figured the whole state was under water.

And, obviously life can be sustained when RH registers at near zero, as is does occasionally in our music building. (Interestingly the static electricity in such low humidity makes it essential that you "discharge" the charge in your body before touching an ETD, or before pumping gas, as multiple fires at gas stations have shown.)

Any scientifically minded tech out there care to enlighten me?

Thanks.
Jim Busby