[CAUT] RH? Please enlighten me.

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Tue Dec 9 11:41:51 PST 2008

Relative Humidity means relative to saturation at that temperature. At
saturation, when the air has "absorbed" as much water vapor as it can
hold, condensation takes place, which may happen as dew. At 100% RH,
anything slightly lower in temperature will "sweat," meaning water
from the air will condense on it. When you lower the temperature, the
air can't hold as much water vapor, so the RH goes up, even without
adding any moisture. And vice versa when you raise temperature.
	Another way of looking at it is "dew point." This has to do with what
temperature will cause condensation for the water vapor content of the
air. It can be measured by taking polished stainless steel and
lowering its temperature. At the point when it fogs up, that is the
dew point. Or you can get an idea by putting a glass of ice water out
and seeing how much and how fast it "sweats." If it doesn't sweat at
all, your dew point is below freezing, and your RH is probably pretty
low (how low depends how warm or cold the temperature is).
	Does that help?
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico