[CAUT] Climate Control

Marcel Carey mcpianos at hotmail.com
Sun Dec 14 20:10:37 PST 2008

My findings are that a change of temperature will affect unisons first. Octaves in the tenor will be affected with humidity change but the changes do not happen so quickly. But a  big temperature change will really trow the unisons out faster. My guess is that since the 3 strings of the unisons are not the same lenght because of pin placement, this is what causes this ailment.Marcel Carey, Sherbrooke> From: fssturm at unm.edu> To: caut at ptg.org> Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2008 18:52:13 -0700> Subject: Re: [CAUT] Climate Control> > On Dec 14, 2008, at 5:40 PM, Don wrote:> > > Have a look at a chart. When temperature drops RH spikes up. Buildings> > being what they are they soon reach equilibrium again at what ever the> > "usual" RH was. Then when temperature is raised RH spikes downwards.  > > Pianos> > do not like this from a tuning stability point of view.> > 	Actually, that was a major point of my post: that we should be  > looking at this as a combined RH and temperature event, not just a  > temperature swing. If both change simultaneously, it is hard to  > distinguish the effects of one from the effects of the other. In any  > case, we should be aware that, in all likelihood, both have changed  > over that week or two of having the heat lowered.> Regards,> Fred Sturm> University of New Mexico> fssturm at unm.edu> > >