[CAUT] Wandering Hammers

denisikeler at aol.com denisikeler at aol.com
Fri Jul 10 05:57:11 MDT 2009

List,

At the Flint School Of Performing Arts, I have a Baldwin SD that the hammer spacing will not stay put.? About?7 years ago I put hammers shanks and flanges in it.? I used Renner USA shanks and flanges.? The problem is, no matter how hard you tighten the flange screw, the hammers eventually move left or right after a few hours of heavy playing.?

Some of my Ideas are:

1. replace the sandpaper on the rest rail with a heavier grit, which might necessitate a slight let off and drop adjustment.
2. the flanges have that little "notch" in the back, so I thought installing bridge pins through the notch right into the rest rail.
??? I used to have a 9' Bechstein that I took care of that had the same.
3. remove a small amount of wood under the flange, so that tightening the screw would transfer some of the grip out to each end of the flange.? My least favorite option.

Any of you ever had this problem?? Any help is appreciated.

Denis Ikeler