[CAUT] pin-block plugging?

David Skolnik davidskolnik at optonline.net
Mon May 4 12:20:13 PDT 2009

Mark -
I'm coming to this a bit late, but I can share
something we did once or twice when I was at
Manhattan School.  Using some arrangement  of
reverse  upcutting counterbore, we inserted the
shank of the tool through the pin hole from
underneath, then chucked it into  a reversible
drill, and pulled upward while cutting.  That's
the general idea...allowing you to cut a 1/2"
hole without enlarging the plate hole.  It was
ingenious, so you can be sure I wasn't the one
who thought of it.  The trick, of course, is to
stop before you start cutting iron.  I'm sorry I
can't recall the exact tool, or comination of
shank and cutter we used.  I may still be able to
find out, if you're interested.   Also, check out  Page 162 in

http://www.michigandrill.com/catalog/

This isn't what I remember using but it might work.

Good luck

David Skolnik
Hastings on Hudson, NY

At 12:14 PM 5/4/2009, you wrote:
>Thanks Nancy, and Ron.
>
>I’ve replaced a couple Bluthner blocks with all
>their compound fitting requirements, and I can’t
>say I was significantly faster on the second
>than the first
 and I’m not actively looking for a third! :>)