[CAUT] pin-block plugging?

Ed Sutton ed440 at mindspring.com
Mon May 4 14:40:29 PDT 2009

Mark-

Perhaps you could try a test on this piano.

Gorilla Brand Super Glue Impact-Tough Gel Formula is a new product. It claims to be CA glue with rubber particles, and seems to have better shear strength than plain CA.

My first test is showing promise.

1) remove the pin

2) swab the hole with Gorilla Super Glue gel

3) spray with accelerator from below the block (to protect the plate finish)

4) drive the pin, attach the string and retune

In my test, this glue is working much better than CA or cyano-epoxy, or cyano-epoxy with microfiber. However, it is on an old 5-ply block. It may not work on a Baldwin block.

Ed Sutton