[CAUT] pin-block plugging?

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Tue May 5 11:12:28 PDT 2009

Jeff Tanner wrote:

> I haven't tried it.  Even on the pins I have tried it on that weren't
> driven deep, the CA just kind of pooled around the pin as if it weren't
> going down. So, I figured that's what would happen in this case as well.
>
> So, will it wick past tuning pin bushings to the block, too?
>
> Jeff

I'm not exactly Mr CA, having only done maybe five blocks.
Three of these had tuning pin bushings, one of which had the
pins driven down to the point the coils were clamped to the
bushings and plate. In all cases, CA pooled up around the base
of the pin (and coils), but wicked in before setting up. I
used close to two ounces per piano, and all of them worked
quite well. They were still junk, but the tuning pins held.
Three pianos isn't much of a cross section, I know, but so
far, I've found by trying it that it works, rather than
assuming it won't and going for the bottom of the pin. I'd
recommend going slowly and getting as much CA in as you can on
the first pass, because subsequent passes don't wick in as
well - if at all.
Ron N